Dermal filler injections belong to the most beloved cosmetic procedures all around the world. They are oftentimes used to smooth wrinkles, restore facial volume, plump thin lips, contour the oval of the face, and so on.
However, the result of dermal fillers is not permanent and fades away with time. So, how long does it last? Does it get better with time? Should you inject dermal fillers on a regular basis? What happens to them when they wear off?
Let us find the answers to these questions by means of going through the below-mentioned injectable fillers guide.
Before we start: Please note that dermal fillers belong to products intended for professional use. Thus, they should be administered exclusively by certified healthcare providers.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Above anything else, it is essential to figure out what dermal fillers are. In simple words, they might be defined as injectable gel-like substances that should be administered under a patient’s skin for a number of aesthetic reasons.
As a side note: Due to the fact that dermal fillers are primarily used to fill the soft tissues of a patient, they are sometimes referred to as soft tissue fillers.
Articles related to dermal fillers are very useful and popular. We have collected all the necessary information in one place A Guide to the Best Facial Fillers and Cosmetic Injectables in 2022. Go and find out the information first.
Based on their main active substance, there exist several types of dermal fillers, such as:
- Hyaluronic acid fillers. These products belong to the most popular cosmetic injectables worldwide. In most cases, they are based on a synthetic analog of hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring substance with intense moisturizing properties. They are produced by a wide range of brands, such as Belotero, Juvederm, Restylane, Saypha, Teosyal, and many more;
- Calcium hydroxylapatite fillers. These solutions are also extremely widely spread among healthcare practitioners and their patients. Their composition includes calcium hydroxylapatite, which is a natural compound mineral that might be found in human bones. The most well-known brand of calcium hydroxylapatite solutions is Radiesse;
- Poly-L-lactic acid fillers (or as they are also called polylactic acid fillers). These dermal fillers are quite different from the two other above-mentioned types. While being based on synthetic polymers, they function as bio-stimulators that accelerate the production of new collagen. The main brand that produces poly-L-lactic fillers is Sculptra.
As a side note: Apart from cosmetic injectables that are based on hyaluronic acid, calcium hydroxylapatite, and poly-L-lactic acid, there exist several other dermal fillers that are based on a variety of active components.
Main indications for dermal filler injections include a wide range of age-related skin imperfections (for instance, facial wrinkles, volume loss, dehydrated lips, and so on). When being more precise, they are primarily used to:
- Take care of milder skin depressions such as smile lines, marionette lines, or crow’s feet;
- Treat deeper wrinkles (for instance, nasolabial folds);
- Improve facial anatomy;
- Restore volume of certain parts of the face;
- Contour facial features;
- Tighten sagging skin;
- Augment lips and smooth lines on them;
- And so on.
Apart from efficiently reducing the above-mentioned signs of aging, dermal fillers are also used to nurture the skin cells from within by means of accelerating the natural production of collagen and elastin.
How Long Does the Result of Dermal Filler Procedures Last?
There is no universal answer to the question of how long dermal filler results last. The main reason for it is that their exact duration depends on a variety of factors that might be roughly divided into two main groups:
- The major properties of a product;
- The individual peculiarities of a patient.
While the major properties of a product that define the duration of its result, in their turn, include:
- The main active substance of a dermal filler. For instance, solutions that are based on hyaluronic acid tend to provide a patient with the result that equals twelve months. While poly-L-lactic dermal fillers might remain within the human body for twenty-four months;
- The technology employed in the production of a filler. Each brand that produces dermal fillers does so in its own unique way. Namely, it uses different technologies in its product manufacturing process, which eventually leads to various characteristics of a dermal filler. These characteristics, in their turn, define how long a certain product might last;
- The volume of the injected filler. Naturally, the greater volume of the product has been injected to enhance the natural appearance of a patient, the longer time it might dissolve. Therefore, the result of facial fillers with a volume of 1ml tends to last less than the result of exactly the same product with a volume of 0.6ml;
- And so on.
Such individual peculiarities of a patient as their current age, skin type, health condition, and even lifestyle, also play an important role when it comes to the duration of a dermal filler’s result.
On average, however, the result of filler injections might last from several months to a couple of years. Still, please note that these terms are strongly individual.
As a side note: One more essential aspect that influences the duration of a result of filler injection is the skincare routine of a patient. For example, if the administration of a filler is used in combination with Botox and other treatments compatible with it, a patient might expect an exceptionally long-lasting result.
Do Injectable Dermal Fillers Look Better Over Time?
Another essential topic that is worth being discussed is whether the result of dermal fillers improves with time. The shortest possible answer to this question is: “Yes.”
Indeed, the result of a filler injection tends to slightly within several weeks after the procedure. The main reason for it is the following: apart from instantly filling skin imperfections, dermal fillers activate the process of natural collagen and elastin production.
So, wellness professionals usually encourage their patients to evaluate the final result of the treatment a couple of weeks after it. Up until that time, both swelling and itching of the injection site disappear, and the natural collagen and elastin production accelerates.
What Happens When Dermal Fillers Wear Off?
Dermal fillers belong to cosmetic injectables with temporary results. Namely, they cannot provide a patient with a permanent effect, and, therefore, their vast majority wear off with time.
Due to the fact that most fillers are absolutely biodegradable, their particles disappear completely from the human body. It eventually leads to the following results:
- Fine lines, folds, and wrinkles that were smoothed by dermal fillers reappear;
- Augmented lips become thin again;
- The skin returns to its previous condition;
- And so on.
In order to avoid these processes or slow them down, a patient might continue having dermal fillers injected beneath their skin from time to time.
How Often Should You Get Dermal Fillers?
Obviously, there exists no obvious answer to the question of how often a patient should get dermal fillers. It is so because (as we have already figured out) the duration of the result of filler injection is strongly individual.
In most cases, a patient should get a new injection of a filler slightly before the result of the previous one is over. This way, a patient will be able to prolong the efficiency of the treatment and, therefore, continuously maintain a youthful appearance.
Thus, a patient is usually recommended to schedule an appointment with their healthcare specialist as soon as the result of a filler injection starts to fade away. Also, it is preferable not to wait till the result of the treatment vanishes completely.
As a side note: Based on the experience of numerous patients, repeated injections of dermal fillers have an accumulative effect. Thus, the more procedures you have undergone, the less frequently you should repeat them.
A Bottom Line
All in all, the answer to the question of how long dermal fillers last is strongly individual for each and every patient. It depends on a wide range of factors, starting from a patient’s skin type and ending with their lifestyle. Also, it varies depending on the characteristics of a filler that has been injected.
Thus, it is the task of your healthcare practitioners to define what result you should expect after the treatment and how often you should repeat it. Only by means of taking a closer look at your individual situation will they be able to provide you with the information on what outcome to expect after the treatment.
So, schedule an appointment with your healthcare practitioner and get one step closer to your young-looking and attractive skin!
P.S. If you are a licensed medical provider who would like to buy dermal fillers online, check out the assortment on our website or simply contact us. This way, you will be able to take advantage of a great selection of original medical devices, advantageous dermal fillers cost, and reliable delivery options.