We bet you have heard the following expression: “The eyes are the window of the soul.” Indeed, the eye area is probably the most essential part of the face, as most people prefer to look each other in the eye when getting acquainted, having a conversation, or trying to understand one another.
On the other hand, the eye area is the most tender part of the face, as it has very thin skin. Therefore, it is predisposed to the formation of under-eye bags, dark circles, hollows, and premature fine lines. While these peculiarities, in their turn, do not only make you look tired but also older than you are.
Luckily, there exists an efficient aesthetic medicine method of how you can fight the above-mentioned tiredness- and age-related signs. Namely, you can undergo an injection of a special under-eye filler. So, how about taking a closer look at this cosmetic procedure and figuring out what to expect from it?
What Is an Under-Eye Filler?
An under-eye filler is a special cosmetic product that is injected under a patient’s skin for a number of aesthetic purposes.
Please note: Under-eye fillers belong to the category of dermal fillers. However, not each and every dermal filler might be injected into the under-eye area.
Depending on their main active ingredient, under-eye fillers are divided into several sub-types, such as:
- Hyaluronic acid under-eye fillers;
- Calcium hydroxyapatite under-eye fillers;
- Poly-L-lactic acid under-eye fillers;
- And so on.
Each above-mentioned sub-type of under-eye fillers has its own peculiarities and is marketed under certain brand names. For instance:
- Belotero, Restylane, and Juvederm are the most popular brands of hyaluronic acid under-eye fillers. They are famous for providing natural effects and being well-absorbed by the human body, mainly due to the fact that hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance that stimulates the skin’s elastin and collagen production. Hyaluronic acid under-eye filler lasts up to 12 months;
- Radiesse is the most well-known brand of calcium hydroxyapatite under-eye fillers. Similar to hyaluronic acid products, calcium hydroxyapatite ones are based on a naturally occurring substance that is perfectly biocompatible. However, these dermal fillers have a reasonably thicker structure and are therefore more rarely used for tender under-eye skin tissue. Calcium hydroxyapatite under-eye filler might provide a patient with a long-lasting effect that lasts up to 18 months;
- Sculptra is probably the most famous brand of poly-L-lactic acid under-eye fillers. Unlike the two dermal filler sub-types that are mentioned above, it is based on a synthetic substance. Nevertheless, it is excellently absorbed by the human body and provides an extremely durable effect that equals 24 months.
Please note: In most cases, hyaluronic acid injections are the most preferable for a delicate tear-trough area.
The main purpose of a dermal filler injection into the under-eye area is the overall facial rejuvenation by means of a periorbital zone enhancement. When being more precise, here is the list of indications an under-eye filler is used for:
- Minimization of dark circles;
- Reduction of under-eye hollows;
- Smoothing of fine lines, folds, and wrinkles in a periorbital part of the face;
- Elimination of sunken tear-troughs;
- And so on.
Please note: Apart from an injection of an under-eye filler, you might also take care of your periorbital area appearance by means of having enough sleep, reducing the amount of salt in your menu, and taking thorough care of your skin. So, in order to achieve the best possible effect of the treatment, it is recommendable to combine it with a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet, and a proper skincare routine.
How Under-Eye Fillers Work?
The entire procedure of an under-eye filler injection should be performed by a certified health care practitioner. In most cases, it works as follows:
- Above anything else, a health care practitioner provides a patient with an initial consultation by means of investigating their current health condition, concern, and desired result;
- If a patient turns out to be a good candidate for the procedure, a health care practitioner disinfects the treatment area and marks the upcoming injection sites;
- Then, a special numbing cream is applied around the treatment area in order to minimize unpleasant feelings during the injection process. A patient should wait for the anesthetic to start acting for a couple of minutes;
- Once a patient’s skin is numb enough, a health care practitioner starts the injection by means of administering an under-eye filler into the soft tissue with the help of a tiny needle;
- Finally, a health care practitioner smoothes the preparation into place and provides a patient with an ice pack that should be applied to the treatment area.
Under normal circumstances, the entire procedure takes up to twenty minutes and requires little to no downtime. Therefore, a patient can return to their everyday routine shortly after the treatment.
Moreover, an injection of an under-eye filler rarely leads to any side effects or complications. Still, some patients claim to experience:
- Redness, bruising, and swelling of the treatment area;
- Skin irritation at the injection site;
These symptoms usually last for a couple of days after the procedure. In most cases, they disappear on their own and do not require any medical supervision.
To minimize the possibility of the above-mentioned side effects or complications of under-eye filler injection, make sure to attentively follow the after-treatment recommendations your health care practitioner might provide you with.
For instance, AVOID doing the following things for the first 48 hours after the procedure:
- Visiting a medical spa;
- Exercising strenuously;
- Undergoing direct sunlight;
- Doing chemical peels;
- Pulling the injection site;
This way, you will not only stay away from unwanted complications but also ensure the best possible after-treatment result.
What to Expect from Using Under-Eye Fillers?
Please note that an under-eye filler injection is not plastic surgery. Therefore, it is important to have realistic expectations when undergoing an aesthetic procedure. Below, you will find the list of the most important things you should be aware of before, during, and after using under-eye fillers.
Here is what you should know before using an under-eye filler:
- Injections of under-eye fillers are not suitable for all. Namely, not everyone might undergo the injection of an under-eye filler. Please note that the safety of the procedure depends on a great number of factors. Therefore, it is a task of a health care practitioner to define whether you are a suitable candidate for an under-eye filler administration;
- Hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers are the most extensively used for the periorbital area. Belotero, Juvederm, and Restylane treatments are most often used when it comes to dermal filler injections into the periorbital area. The main reason for it is that these products are based on HA, an absolutely natural and safe substance for tender areas;
- The effect of the treatment is absolutely individual. The effect you will achieve after the procedure depends on your individual age, health, and lifestyle factors. For instance, the younger you are, the longer the duration of an under-eye filler injection will be;
- The exact price for the treatment might be difficult to calculate. The total cost for an under-eye filler injection depends on several factors, such as your geographical location, the brand you choose for the injection, and the number of syringes you need to arrive at the desired result.
Also, please be aware of these things during using an under-eye filler:
- Knowledge of the facial anatomy is required during the treatment. The periorbital area of the face has a great concentration of blood vessels that should not be touched during the procedure. Therefore, only a knowledgeable health care practitioner who is perfectly aware of the facial anatomy might inject an under-eye filler;
- The procedure is fast and almost painless. The treatment that involves an under-eye filler is quick and minimally invasive. While having the duration of twenty minutes or so, the injection does not cause any unpleasant feelings or discomfort. If you are hypersensitive to pain, you might either ask your health care practitioner to use a preparation with lidocaine or apply a topical anesthetic to the area of the treatment;
- The parallel skin and health care will accelerate the result of the treatment. To ensure the best possible result of the treatment, you might support it with the help of a parallel intake of vitamin E and omega 3. Healthy nutrition will definitely have a positive effect on your skin and therefore accelerate the result of dermal filler injection.
Finally, here is what you should know after using an under-eye filler:
- An injection of an under-eye filler will substantially rejuvenate and enhance your appearance. After an under-eye filler injection, you are expected to notice a substantial improvement in the appearance of dark circles, tear trough hollows, puffy eyes, indented shadows under the eyes, crow’s feet, and other signs of tiredness, volume loss, and aging;
- The effect of the procedure will not last forever. The result of under-eye filler injections is NOT permanent. No matter whether you use Sculptra, Radiesse, Belotero, Restylane, or Juvederm treatment, none of those will provide you with a lifelong result. Each above-mentioned product has its own duration of action, but you will definitely need to repeat the procedure from time to time;
- The final result will reveal within a few days after the injection. Final results of under-eye fillers will become visible within several days after the procedure. There is no doubt that you will notice an instant result after the injection. However, it will most probably be not the final one, as a product might take some time to absorb.
Thus, pay attention to the above-mentioned information and know what to expect before, during, or after an injection of an under-eye dermal filler.
The Bottom Line
All in all, an injection of an under-eye filler is an efficient cosmetic treatment that deals with dark circles, tear trough hollows, fine lines, and other volume-loss or age-related imperfections of the periorbital area. At the same time, the procedure has a lot of peculiarities you should be aware of in order to know what to expect from using a dermal filler in the periorbital area.
No matter whether you decide to undergo injections of under-eye fillers or not, remember: your beauty is unique and charming at all times!