Synvisc and Orthovisc are viscosupplements well-known in orthopedics. They both are meant for synovial fluid restoration for joint mobility improvement and knee osteoarthritis treatment. The best way to use these products is in combination with pain medicines, physical therapy, and other effective procedures.
No wonder these brands are so popular in the medical sphere, as their quality, results, and safety is everything patients need for fast recovery and satisfying treatment outcome. But what’s required to guarantee a successful post-injection effect? The correctly-picked solution, of course! So, today, let’s discuss the differences between Orthovisc and Synvisc to select the best knee joint pain treatment method!
Let’s Talk About the Essentials
Before diving into discussing all the essential characteristics to understand both brands better, we want to pay attention to the primary description of each product. It will make the final decision of which product to use much more effortless.
What Is Orthovisc?
Orthovisc is a medication meant to treat osteoarthritis of the knee; it’s made of hyaluronan, and it comes in the form of a pre-filled syringe, which is very comfortable to use for one’s health improvement.
The syringe’s volume is typically 30mg/2mL, which is a recommended dose to see the advantageous effect of the product. To buy Orthovisc online, you need a prescription from your doctor.
This brand can relieve pain effectively thanks to the active substance, which is very similar to the synovial fluid in our joints. Its main task is to act like a lubricant and shock absorbent to provide a satisfactory effect to an individual.
What Is Synvisc?
Synvisc is a viscosupplement that has to be administered into the knee joint to add more to the already present healthy synovial fluid. It contains Hylan A and Hylan B, and it’s available in a 16mg/2mL pre-filled syringe, and a medical professional must administer the product after pre-treatment consultation.
This injectable is safe and effective, and patients can order Synvisc online if they have a valid prescription from their doctor.
Adverse reactions are rare after the procedure, but mild irritation, swelling, and redness are still possible.
Synvisc Vs. Orthovisc. More About the Similarities
Know, as we know more about both injectables for hyaluronic acid treatments, let’s look closely at primary similarities that can confuse people while they are choosing the best option for themselves:
- Active ingredient. Both Synvisc and Orthovisc are hyaluronic acid injections, making them safe and effective for patients with various needs;
- Working principle. These brands are meant for patients who don’t find traditional treatment options helpful (we are talking about painkillers and physical therapy). They mimic the action of synovial fluid and prevent bones from gliding painfully against each other; the products create a “cushion” between them, making the friction painless and comfortable. This way, people may enjoy a better life quality without osteoarthritis complications;
- Injection technique. Orthovisc and Synvisc injections are meant to be administered intra-articularly into the space between the bones (usually in the area arthritic synovial joint). It’s only allowed to perform the treatment if you are an experienced medical professional;
- Limitations. Usually, patients respond adequately to both products; still, some contraindications should be considered to guarantee a safe procedure. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, joint inflammations, and skin disorders mean it may be dangerous to use this hyaluronic acid product for one’s needs;
- Adverse reactions. Side effects are expected after the Synvisc and Orthovisc administration, as the body requires some time to get used to the new product, as well as the gel needs time to settle properly. The most common reaction is injection site pain and slight inflammation. Sometimes, an accumulation of fluid may develop around the treated spot (it’s better to ask a doctor about how to take care of the treated zone in this case).
Orthovisc Injection Vs. Synvisc. Let’s Talk About Differences
Now, as we understand primary similarities better, let’s concentrate more on which aspects distinguish these brands from one another. There are a few essential points in this list.
Gain comprehensive insights into Monovisc side effects with our detailed guide at Fillers Supplies. Explore the potential risks and common reactions associated with this hyaluronic acid-based injectable. Our informative blog post A Detailed Guide Across Monovisc Side Effects covers everything you need to know, including possible allergic reactions, swelling, redness, and temporary discomfort. Understand the importance of proper administration and post-treatment care to minimize any adverse effects. Make informed decisions about Monovisc dermal filler by staying informed. Visit Fillers Supplies now for a thorough understanding of Monovisc side effects.
#1. Active Subsance Origin
Orthovisc is considered a nonanimal-based orthopedic implant; HA is derived biotechnologically from fermented bacterial cultures. An average syringe size is 2 ml, each containing 15 ml/mg of hyaluronic acid.
Synvisc includes Hylan polymers extracted from rooster combs, and each 2ml string includes 8mg/ml of the Hylan solution.
#2. Orthopedic Implant Formulation
While Orthovisc is designed with the average molecular weight, Synvisc is created to resemble properties of naturally-occurring synovial fluid in healthy patients. That’s why this orthopedic implant has a higher average molecular weight.
#3. Number of Injections for Pain Relief
A different number of injections are needed for these injectables to provide adequate pain relief. With Orthovisc, three to five weekly injections are required for good results (the interval between each one must be not more than one week).
On the other hand, Synvisc consists of three weekly injections to last for the same time and provide effective pain relief. To define the best option for an individual, their conditions and some personal health characteristics should be considered.
Orthovisc is a universal medication for osteoarthritis symptoms elimination in the knee joints, while Synvisc is a versatile product. It can be used for joints in various target zones (knees, ankles, shoulders, hips, etc.) and is quite effective in delaying knee replacement surgery compared to other solutions.
Typically, Synvisc tends to be a little more pricy than Orthovisc; while the second one costs around $35 per syringe, the first one is about $52 per syringe. Still, it’s the effectiveness that must be considered in the first place, so discussing this nuance with a specialist is a good idea.
The Final Word: About Orthovisc and Synvisc for Knee Pain
In knee orthopedics, there are many options for pain relief and joint treatment. Still, most products are totally different, and these variations should be considered to select the best injection for a patient’s needs. Orthovisc and Synvisc are two influential brands with impressive outcomes; still, they are different at their core. Composition, clinical outcomes, durability, and other aspects are essential, so you must understand this diversity to have a successful injection session with positive results and long-lasting. Hopefully, this article answered all your questions, so now you know which one is better for you – Synvisc or Orthovisc.