Modern beauty standards dictate certain rules or, better to say, pictures of how a perfect face and body should look. In the image of perfection, full and plump lips have taken one of the prominent roles. That is why lip enhancement procedures are so popular on the global level, and now, they have become affordable not just to celebrities but to ordinary people as well. Let us remember the family of Kardashian sisters, especially Kylie and Kim, and many other stars who did not neglect the opportunities offered by modern cosmetology for appearance enhancement.
Speaking about lip augmentation, there are basically two procedures that sound quite similar but provide different results and are actually divergent in their essence. These are the Botox lip flip and injections with lip fillers. Let us examine them both closer to understand the discrepancy between them and help you choose what may work better, particularly for you.
What’s the Difference Between Lip Flip and Lip Filler?
Botox Upper Lip Flips? What is that?
When we speak about Botox lip flip, we mean the injections of botulinum toxin, better known as Botox, in the upper lip. This medication is very popular for therapeutic and cosmetic purposes for its neuro relaxant abilities. As for cosmetology, Botox is mainly used to eliminate the mimic wrinkles on the forehead, between the eyebrows, under the eyes, and around the mouth. Blocking the nerve endings, the toxin disables the muscles from further contractions during active facial expressions like smiling or frowning, decreases the tension in the tissues, and prevents the formation of the creases on the skin.
So how can Botox help to enlarge the volume of the lip? When injected into the skin tissues and providing a slight paralyzing effect, the drug relaxes the orbicularis oris muscle, so the lip flits upwards. It creates the visual effect of a larger and plumper lip.
Fillers for Lip Augmentation? How does it Work?
Adding volume with fillers is actually a physical enlargement of the lips tissues by injecting the liquid gel with hyaluronic acid (HA). Hyaluronic acid is a natural polisaссharide that occurs in so many human tissues, including the skin. It physically holds the frame of the skin and takes part in the production of elastin and collagen in the organism.
Except for physical filling in the hollow areas in the tissues, hyaluronic acid molecules attract and bind to the molecules of water, increasing the volume even more. Furthermore, it accelerates the level of hydration, making the skin looking younger, fresher, smoother, and more radiant.
Later on, we will discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each of the procedures.
Pros and Cons of Lip Fillers vs. Botox Lips Flip
The Benefits of Lip Flip Procedure
- The naturalness of the obtained result. Treatments with Botox for lip augmentation change neither the upper lip shape nor its contour, so it looks natural and untouched to its maximum.
- It is a less invasive option of the lips plumping procedure. The treatment with Botox is fast and safe, and minimally invasive, including just a few shots. You are likely even not to notice any traces of the manipulation on your face.
- No downtime after Botox injections. Once the procedure is finished, there is no need to stay in the clinic or take a day off. You can easily resume your daily activity with slight restrictions (no rubbing the injection site, no heavy makeup, no visits to the gym, pool, sauna, no hot showers, or baths).
- More affordable price in comparison to lip fillers. At the present moment, injections of Botox are way less expensive than injections with dermal fillers what makes the procedure more affordable for most clients.
- Botox lip flip can fix the gummy smile. A gummy smile, when the upper gum appears when the person smiles, bothers a lot of people. Among the ways to fix the gummy smile, many of which are surgical, Botox injections are one of the fastest and safest ways to do this.
The Cons of Lip Flip Botox Injections
- The results last shorter than after lip fillers. Botulinum toxin, on average, provides the effect for no longer than 4-6 months. It is individual and depends on the abilities of the organism for recovery. The faster it managers to grow new nerve endings, the faster action of Botox starts to decrease.
- You do not see the immediate result. Botulinum toxin does not start working right away after the injection. It will take you up to 14 days to see the first results, which will strengthen during the first two months and then gradually weaken.
- Side effects like numbness and swelling. Like any invasion, even slight and minor, there is a row of possible side effects like numbness, swelling, redness, and paint the injection site. If you find a qualified specialist and follow all the recommendations and precautions of the doctor, you will reduce the risks of severe side effects and accelerate the recovery period.
The Benefits of the Augmentation With Lip Fillers
- Long duration of the effect. Hyaluronic acid in the lip injectable gel lasts in the human organism on average from 6 to 9 months, sometimes even more. It is individual and depends on the speed of the metabolism processes in the organism. It means that you will have to visit your doctor not more frequently than once a year.
- Can achieve any volume goals. If you go with Botox lip flip, you can obtain just a visual illusion of a bigger lip when with dermal fillers, you can create any volume you want, plump, really thin lips (both upper and lower). Moreover, you can solve a wide range of other lips authentic problems: correct the asymmetry, define the lips contours, correct the discrepancy between the lower and upper lips, eliminate the wrinkles, hydrate.
- Immediately visible results. You will see the almost immediate effect (in this case, plumping of your lips) after the doctor is done with the procedure. It will improve within the following few days when possible swelling and redness will disappear.
- Excellent safety of hyaluronic lip fillers. I have previously mentioned that hyaluronic acid is naturally present in the body. It cancels any risks for body rejection. At the same time, the non-organic origin of hyaluronic acid in modern fillers makes the gels hypoallergenic, so you do not even need to make a test for allergy.
- Controllable and predictable outcomes. According to your goals, the doctor can control the amount of the injected dermal filler. If this is your first procedure, you may start with a small amount of the gel to see how you feel about it. If you think this is not enough, in a week, you can repeat the procedure and increase the volume. On the opposite side, if you feel you are overdone, you can always inject hyaluronidase and get rid of your filler fast and effectively.
The Cons of Lip Fillers Injections
- The procedure is more expensive. Treatment with dermal fillers is more expensive than Botox lip flip. On the other hand, it lasts longer.
- Possible side effects. The administration of hyaluronic acid into the dermal tissues may be followed by the following reactions: pain, redness, swelling, itching, sensitivity, bruising. They are temporary and should disappear within 2-3 days.
So, these were the descriptions of two popular procedures for lips enhancement – Botox lip flip and lip fillers. Which one should you choose? You may have already made some conclusions, but it is always better to have a professional consultation with a certified and experienced practitioner in the specialized clinic as there may be specific indications or contraindications to one or another procedure that are the best suitable in your particular case. The success and your satisfaction with the results in many terms depend on the doctor you choose, so be careful when entrusting your lips and appearance. Anyone with a license can order Botox online, we have a great variety for both Botox and Dermal Fillers from the top brands. Choose carefully what to opt for, monitor and study the doctors and clinic before you choose where to go, and they will definitely help you to pick up the right procedure to highlight your natural beauty!